Friday, November 28, 2008

Egalitarianism and Existentialism

Why should we believe in egalitarianism? Well to answer this we must go deep into the very nature of the universe, lurching our way through the essence that is existence.

So how do we even figure what the hell’s going on? Renee Descartes once embarked on just this question, he decided to start by doubting every single assumption that there is so as to build a view of the universe based only on what could truly be known. So let’s start there.

Nothing exists, there is only void, there is no proof of anything existing, now there’s a problem I am doubting the existence of everything, that action as soon as it’s taken, exists, so I a conscious thing capable of doubting existence exist. (go read Renee Descartes’ meditations yourself for more detail) So I who exist can also doubt the existence of other things which sets up a now two part universe, of finite concepts, which I doubt, and void, which is nothing.

now let’s go further into the darkness and see that all the finite things plus all the void would be infinite, so there are three parts a finite part, an infinite part and void, everything is in the infinite, everything is part of that one thing, it’s all connected conceptually and that’s important because there may not be any other type of connection other than conceptual.

Within the three parts let’s go a little bit further in to the cave of existence and check out two concepts, pleasure and pain, do I know if pleasure and pain exist? No I only know that they are concepts which can be perceived and doubted, but I can use them if I briefly assume they do exist, which they might, to classify all other finite concepts as good or bad. (This would be done by simply classifying all pleasurable things as good and painful things as bad, of course a more nuanced theory probably related to the works of Epicurus would be more effective and I do intend to go into that in future work, things like hangover theory from over indulgence in pleasure, short term pain for long term gain, etc. For now just check out Epicurus to figure out what I’m talking about.)

Now I can’t prove you exist, but I can prove that I should doubt that you don’t exist, And if you exist you may reasonably experience pleasure and pain, good and bad things might happen to you, we’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel eh?

Now let’s go back to the three part universe, you are not void because you might not be nothing, so you are finite or infinite, the two of which are connected because the one encompasses the other, so causing pain to you is also causing pain to me. Because we are, if you exist, deeply connected by the three part universe. I loose nothing if you do not exist and I treat you well, but I hurt myself greatly if you do exist, and I treat you badly. Because I want to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. 

And there we have the philosophical basis for egalitarianism. Based on this basic assumption of your possible existence, and the experience of pain and pleasure we can see the need for equity in the universe.

Check out the youtube channel

No comments: